Friday 1 July 2011

Take it easy....

It's been a while since you've heard from Maud and Millie or as we sometimes call them the Maudster and Millicent.We do lots of silly names in this house.Thomasina has become Sinaassen for some reason and she responds to both- see -cats are clever!Or at least they understand treats and things- but so do the two pups.
The last month has been very good for them as I have spent much more time with them.The anxiety levels are going down a lot and no more ( or very seldom ) anxious sprinkling and accidents from Maud.We had that a lot when she first came.Not sure how she was treated before she came to us, but anything would set her off..Trying her to get inside from the garden.. trying to give her her breakfast.. calling her....she would cringe and sprinkle ..I got pretty handy with the wipes and antibacterial sprays.
She is pretty relaxed now.Here she is checking out the rabbit trail on the green this morning .." hmmm!"

"And this smells of rabbit too!"
They have their own routine.
First round of the green:
-Rabbit trail sniffing.
You will only see two bottoms.The rabbits presumably are holding their breath.
They will never forget where the rabbits were earlier..
"This is were the rabbit was last time "..
And this is an activity which can't be curtailed..
"Talk to the hand cause the ear is not listening. "" I can't hear yooooooooo".


Second round of the green :
-Crazy running..
-Obstacle race
   
-Chasing
And then obviously a rest..
and a cuddle.They have been so good this week and such a solace.The house is a sick bay with my 16 year old cat Gibson being gravely ill with kindey failure.
Such a gorgeous and lovely cat.
They all know and are concerned and in their own way try to say to Gibson " we care about you, are you OK?".And tip-to-ing around the house.Going very carefully to him, not touching, tiptoing away.They know the kitchen, were Gibson is lying is out of bounds .So the walks are a great way of being a bit more cheerful and getting rid of some energy.Having a break.Taking it easy.....Dogs bring your blood pressure down they say..
I don't doubt it for a minute...





                                               
          




3 comments:

  1. Dearest Bea et all,

    What a lovely post and what all happened in the two weeks since... Life is tough and especially when you LOVE someone, something... Life is meant to end, we must let go but nobody does that voluntarily. We hold on to it, we hope, even false hope we cling to it like it will stay, not slip out of our hands, our power. And yet, nothing can stop it, we must one day say goodbye. I cried so hard when my Mauzie was put to sleep. She was a sweet and very intelligent miniature dachshund, a black & tan. Her Daddy was the Dutch champion so she was of good pedigree. But she had cancer; breast cancer. Never had any puppies but after 12½ year we had to say goodbye. Her skin was breaking on her hind legs and she had lost so much weight. I called the vet, who told me he would not make house calls. When I told him, he better come over to help my Mauzie, my only 'child' out of her misery; he did come. So the final moments I never will forget. Holding her sweet head and the vet giving her the final injection, she peacefully went. It was the weirdest thing I ever felt in my life; her heart-beat fading away in my hand... No pressure in her veins anymore; all was quiet and it was over. I knew she was at peace as I held her. Than Pieter changed into his swim gear and put Mauzie in a beach towel for the burial. The swim gear was necessary for the heavy thunderstorm... soaking wet but that did fit my flood of tears. Called my Mom to tell her that my Mauzie was no more. Pieter said I could not have another pet with all our traveling; that was hard! But there was none like Mauzie, she flew with us, stayed at the Hilton Tower in San Francisco, the Hyatt at Cherry Hill in New Jersey etc. etc. Never a problem because she was so smart.
    One day we will meet again! And I'm feeling good about having saved her from suffering till her natural death by letting her die peacefully. You did the same. Guess that is our plight to take care of them!
    A BIG HUG and you let your tears flow, sixteen years of unconditional love from an animal often outweighs the loyalty of a human...
    Love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much dearest Mariette, for sharing your story about Mauzie- she sounds a fantastic dog- and for your kindness and support .
    I am over whelmed by the kindness of people who all write to say how sorry they are, and you are so kind.
    Thank you again.
    XOXO
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Lovies; furry and otherwise,

    Thanks for your visits and comments. Hopy you have a peaceful week after all that happened around you... Phew, what a job since you wrote this post! And those famous furbabies...
    Love to you,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment! Please note** I never publish anonymous or name-less comments** and I reserve the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business.Thank you!